Saturday, February 9, 2008

Please don't laugh

Road song without a tune

Come ride with me, my darling

Come and watch the sun go down
We will leave this ghostly city
We will leave this sorry town

We'll roll past this endless winter
Over asphalt, under snow
We will flee the rest and ride out west
Along the Morse code of the road

You're riding shotgun right beside me
And that's just fine with me for now
But I might take off next time we stop
So find yourself another ride somehow

For the moment, we're still singing

And we're still joyful through and through

But come spring I'll still be steering
Towards another splendid view

And the fields fly by so swiftly
And the weather's oh so clear
But my love, I can't ride on like this
I've got to drop you here

So my darling, don't be angry
Don't be lonesome when I'm gone
'Cause you know that I was meant to fly
On this open road alone


Just a draft--comments welcome.

[Photo: Lee Friedlander, Akron, Ohio, 1980. Plate 13 from Factory Valleys.]

No comments: