Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Frank Lloyd Wright would be so pissed


Chinese-born artist Cai Guo-Qiang is having a mid-career retrospective, entitled "I Want To Believe," at the Guggenheim this month. I'll be honest, I've never actually heard of him before. But I have to say that his installation in the Frank Lloyd Wright rotunda is pretty much the coolest thing ever. It's a bunch of cars tumbling (well, suspended) down seven stories, stop motion photography-style, erupting with sprays of neon sparks. Though I've been thinking, anything resembling a car bomb is probably not a good idea for an art installation in Manhattan, am I right? Nevertheless, this exhibition might even give me the motivation to actually go to New York for a few days over break. Anyone have a couch I can crash on? Pun intended.

No comments: