Friday, July 13, 2007

Vote for Danny?



Even though I agree with the Times' opinion that Fox's So You Think You Can Dance is bad for the dance world, I continue to watch it because there's so little quality dancing on TV. I'll give them a couple of things: this is a far cry from Dancing with Celebrities or whatever. I don't think viewers truly know what they are seeing when Neil Haskell, for instance, does seven pirouettes or when Sabra Johnson puts her leg up against her ear and then holds it there a good long while. Dancing can sometimes be a sport, and these dancers are athletes. And I am a big fan of Mia Michaels' choreography. However, artistry is rarely shown by either the dancers or the choreographers (and especially not by executive producer and judge Nigel Lythgoe, who wants to seem like he knows what he's talking about but in fact rewards flashy tricks rather than solid technique). SYTYCD encourages the circus-freakishness that has been a fad in dancing ever since I started dancing myself when I was five. I received quality training from respected artists, but ever since I was ten, I knew I could never dance professionally because I couldn't do a back flip or a front handspring.

My favorite dancer on SYTYCD (and I share this opinion with the Times) is Danny Tidwell. I became aware of his career when he joined ABT, and I'm pleased that they finally have a real live classically trained dancer on the show. (The closest they'd gotten up until now was Travis Wall, Tidwell's brother, last season's runner up. He could also whip off seven or eight pirouettes and make it look like a walk in the park.) Tidwell is well-mannered, professional, and a skillful partner. But the thing is, I just can't figure out what he's doing there. He's a successful dancer already in his own right; he shouldn't need this dog and pony show just to make a living. He was on the rise at ABT before he left a couple years ago, he had a good stint at Complexions, and has a ready-made teaching career if he wants it. Just watch the way his torso contracts and curls like he's dancing Martha Graham when he does that whipping arm movement thingy (about 45 seconds into the YouTube video). These kinds of subtleties place him in a class above everyone else on this show.
I just get the feeling that he belongs on a better stage than this. Perhaps he's trying to get more exposure for his magazine, movmnt, as a result of his minor reality show celebrity. But if this is what he wants--to win a national television dance competition--then by golly, we should give it to him.

No comments: