Monday, May 5, 2008

On a dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets...

It's time to come clean: I'm an NPR junkie. I download "This American Life" podcasts and sing the Be-Bop-A-Re-Bop Rhubarb Pie song whenever I'm feeling out of sorts. My mornings begin with "The Writer's Almanac," and my work days often end with "All Things Considered." I own a tote bag. Okay, I own several.

So this past Saturday, when "A Prairie Home Companion" was broadcast live from the Bangor Auditorium, I was in heaven indeed. And yes, I was there. Allow me to geek out for a moment. There was Garrison Keillor.
Sound Effects Man. David Mallett. Maxine Kumin. Garrison Keillor. Four talented fiddlers from around the state. A bunch of great jokes at Stephen King's expense. Also, did I mention Garrison Keillor was there?

Some observations:
-I consider GK to be America's greatest living storyteller. He's a joy to listen to on the radio. In person, with no script, he's even more so. My favorite part of the performance was before the show went on the air, when he meandered through the audience and greeted latecomers with handshakes and kisses on the cheeks as they found their seats. It actually kind of makes you want to be a little late for the next local broadcast, doesn't it?
-According to my insiders at the Maine Center for the Arts, the APHC people arrived in Bangor on Wednesday, spent some time getting to know the area, and wrote the show in three days before Friday night's rehearsal. And they even got the Maine accents right! Very impressive.
-Maine alums: I promise, you've never heard the Stein Song played this way before. It took me a moment to even realize what I was listening to. Squee!
-
Random discovery of the week: David Mallett and my dad were fraternity brothers. I'm sitting there completely engrossed in his beautiful songs, and Dad turns to Mom and says, "remember in college when Dave used to try to get us drive up to Big Squaw Mountain with him every Friday to play? No matter what the weather. He was pretty crazy back then." So my dad is friends with a folk music legend. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as my dad is friends with pretty much everyone in the state of Maine.
-If you ever find yourself faced with a choice between a career in investment banking and a career as a voice actor, do what Sound Effects Man Fred Newman did and choose the latter. Clearly, he made the correct decision.

The archived show in its entirety can be found here. Photo of the performance by Bridget Brown for the Bangor Daily News.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Sarah, I can't even begin to explain how frickin' envious I am of the fact that you were able to see the show live. I was splayed on my couch eating chinese food, all the while cursing the fact that I hadn't planned far enough ahead to make it home for this. It was a beautiful episode and made me so homesick that it almost had me in tears. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this for the both of us, though.

Heidi said...

one word: jealous

Anonymous said...

Good mind, good find........................................