Saturday, March 8, 2008

The house needs new siding; pass me another!

A Man's 6-Pack Can Serve as His Castle (NY Times)

Besides being environmentally friendly, the Beer Can House in Houston, Texas may or may not be the coolest thing ever to result from one man's love of cheap beer. (Hint: it is.) The folk art monument, which opens to the public today, was the twenty-year-long project of late furniture upholsterer John Milkovisch. The house underwent a seven-year, $400,000 restoration, which is surely every architectural preservationist's dream job. ("Hmm, that wall looks like it needs some more work. BEER RUN!!!!")
The house costs $1 to tour. I can only assume that the dollar includes a complimentary PBR, and that the resulting cans go directly toward building maintenance.

Two questions remain: First of all...his wife actually let him get away with this? And also, how can I get myself one of these? (To answer my own question: perhaps by simply continuing to do what I'm already doing. Between all the alcohol and the books about architecture, a house made out of beer cans is exactly where my graduate education is likely to lead me.)

In all seriousness, though, there are worse things that one can do with empty beer cans. And I'm oddly reminded of Frank Gehry's bungalow in Santa Monica (below). Am I right, people?


No comments: