Saturday, December 22, 2007

I have a crush on Mikhail Baryshnikov, and I don't care who knows it

Mikhail Baryshnikov is an f'ing legend. There have been many dance superstars--your Gelseys, Rudy's, and Dame Margot's. My generation knows Suzanne Farrell because she was on Sesame Street. But Baryshnikov is that rare dancer who is also a household name. As a teenager, I used to rewind his Don Q and Le Corsaire scenes from The Turning Point over and over and over. And, okay, I'll admit it. Also the love scene with Leslie Browne.

He's still dancing at the ripe old age of 59. He'll be 60 next month. But since his body won't do everything it used to, he's branching out into acting. I am a huge fan of this career choice. His short stint on Sex and the City was, dare I say it, hot. And now, he's starring in a compilation of Samuel Beckett shorts with the New York Theater Workshop. He's getting pretty good reviews. What's interesting to note is that in three of the four short plays, Baryshnikov doesn't say a word. It's all physical acting, set to original music by Philip Glass.

Not having seen the performances, I really can't say much by way of review, but I do have two problems with this general concept. Number one, Baryshnikov is the most accomplished person in the world at movement. Sure, he's going to be modest and say it's challenging to move and act in different ways on a different type of stage; but let's be honest, this has got to be child's play for him. Physical acting has been his life since the mid-1950s. Give the guy a challenge! Second, how can one put him on a stage and not take advantage of that sexy Russian accent? It's a shame, I say. A damn shame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!